What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to cover the tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and improve its appearance. The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
When Do You Need a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are versatile restorative options used for:
- Protecting a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- Restoring an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
- Covering and supporting a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- Holding a dental bridge in place
- Covering misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- Covering a dental implant
- Making a cosmetic modification for aesthetic purposes
The Benefits of Getting a Dental Crown
Dental crowns are not only beneficial for restoring functionality but also offer cosmetic benefits, including:
- Enhancing the appearance of your smile
- Long-term dental health solutions
- Protection for vulnerable teeth
- Customized to match your natural teeth
- Comfortable and functional tooth restoration
The Process of Getting a Dental Crown
Getting a dental crown typically requires two visits to our office. Here’s what you can expect:
- Examination and preparation of the tooth, which may include taking X-rays and making a mold of your mouth.
- Reshaping the tooth and placing a temporary crown if needed.
- On your second visit, removing the temporary crown and fitting the permanent crown.
- After ensuring a proper fit and color match, permanently cementing the crown into place.
Types of Crowns Available
We offer a variety of crown types to fit every need and budget:
- Stainless Steel Crowns: A temporary solution used to protect the tooth or filling while a permanent crown is made from another material.
- Metal Crowns: Including gold, palladium, nickel, or chromium. Known for their durability and high tolerance to wear.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns: Can be color-matched to your adjacent teeth (unlike metallic crowns) and are a great choice for front or back teeth.
- All-Resin Crowns: Less expensive than other crown types but wear down over time and are more prone to fractures.
- All-Ceramic or All-Porcelain Crowns: Provide the best natural color match than any other crown type and are suitable for people with metal allergies.
Caring for Your Dental Crown
With proper care, a good quality crown could last up to 15 years or more. It is important to follow regular hygiene practices including:
- Brushing twice a day and flossing once a day
- Avoiding chewing hard foods, ice, or other hard objects
- Regular checkups and cleanings
Why Choose Miramar Smiles Dentistry for Your Dental Crowns?
Choosing Miramar Smiles Dentistry for your dental crown procedures ensures:
- Expert care from experienced dental professionals
- A comfortable and welcoming environment
- State-of-the-art technology for precise fittings and natural aesthetics
- Personalized care tailored to your dental needs and preferences
- Convenient location and flexible scheduling
Contact Us Today
To learn more about our dental crown services or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at 954-431-5513 or visit us at 12781 Miramar Pkwy, Suite 106, Miramar, FL 33027. Let us help you restore your smile and confidence with our expert dental crown solutions.